Friday, May 31, 2013

Who painted this? #29

I think the artist who painted this had a really enjoyable time!  It's very 'painterly'.

Who painted this? #29
(minus signature)
You know the drill - and for those who don't read the notes below and those on the page at the top of this blog.

How to participate in "Who painted this? #29"


PLEASE make sure you read the rules before posting a comment - and ONLY POST ON THIS BLOG what you think is the answer.
Click this link to read THE RULES for participating in this challenge (this saves having to copy them out for each post!).

In short:
  • use your brains not software to find the answer
  • search using words only on a database of images
  • leave your answer as a comment on this blog
  • if correct it will not be published until the next post - which provides the answer
  • if wrong it will be published
  • do not leave the answer on Facebook!
  • the winner - who gets a mention and a link on/from this blog - is the first person to give me a completely correct answer for ALL the things I want to know

Who Painted This #28 - The Answer

Still Life with Red Peppers on a White Lacquered Table
oil (1915)
Felix Vallaton

It seems as if Vallotton didn't start painting still life until towards the end of his life - this one was painted 10 years before he died.

In my opinion he's a superb still life painter. Here's some links to more images of his still life paintings on Wikipaintings

Who guessed correct?

Comments which include the correct suggestions of the artist behind this painting have now been published. Congrats to "Colours and Textures " who progressed through Google search until she found it!

Others who got it right included:
Thanks to all the regular "Who painted this?" followers for all the good wishes in relation to my eye surgery.  

As of yesterday I now officially have better than average eyesight in relation to distance vision which is lovely and my pressures are now fine.  Unfortunately I now have really awful vision for reading and it's not too good for computers - and my previous prescription glasses are now useless.  However this will be fixed when I can finally get signed off at the end of June and can then go and get assessed for new glasses.  Fortunately I found that my original driving glasses c. 1996 are just about OK for computers so long as I don't stay on too long!  I KNEW there was a good reason to hang on to old glasses!

11 comments:

  1. The painting is 'Lilacs in a Window' by Mary Cassatt. Painted in oil on canvas in 1880, you can see it in the Metropolitan in New York. I recognised the painting.
    www.janehousham.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilacs in a Window Vase de Lilas à la Fenêtre
    Mary Cassatt
    1880
    oil on canvas
    New York: The Metropolitan Museum of Art and features in the Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History.

    I googled lilacs jug windowsill impressionist painting and there it was in wikimedia and with the details googled its location as above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't noticed earlier that the artist's signature is showing.

    The date of 1880 that I gave you was from wiki, MOMA gives 1880-1883

    The lilacs in my garden are gorgeous at the moment.

    I too have a collection of vintage glasses that have had multiple uses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wiki yielded this one with a "Lilacs in a jug", then "..in a window" search.

    Lilacs in a Window
    Mary Cassatt
    c.1880
    oil
    50.8x 61.595 cm
    private collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Who painted this? #29"

    Artist: Mary Cassatt (1844-1926)
    from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,USA

    Title: 'Lilacs in a Window'
    Painted between 1880 and 1883
    Media: Oil on canvas 61.5x51.1 cm

    Where it is now:
    Metropolitan Museum of Art

    This painting was originally owned by Mayse Dreyfus, a Parisian collector.

    I Googled 'Mary Cassatt' to find the painting in order to research dates and where the painting is now. I used Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History and The Metropolitan Museum of Art

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Cassatt
    American I'mpressionist
    Lilacs in a Window
    Ca. 1880-83
    Oil on canvas
    Metropolitan Museum of Art NYC
    Cassatt who concentrated on painting the human figure rarely painted still life.
    I thought it was either Camille Pissarro or Mary Cassatt.
    I knew someday all those hours in "art in the dark" as we called art history class would come in handy.

    Barbara Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilacs in a Window
    Mary Cassatt
    1880
    Oil on Canvas
    Private Collection

    I searched for impressionist paintings of lilacs and it came up straight away.
    Glad to here that you are recovering well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lilacs in A Window
    Mary Cassatt, American painter, 1844-1926
    created 1880-83
    oil on canvas
    It is now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lilacs in A Window
    Mary Cassatt, American painter, 1844-1926
    created 1880-83, oil on canvas
    It is now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Artist.. Mary Cassatt
    Title.. Lilacs in a Window
    When..1880
    Medium.. Oil on canvas
    Where.. Metropolitan Museum of Art New York
    How.. Because I (Wrongly) thought I knew this I went off on a few time wasting but enjoyable tangents. Then I googled lilac, syringa, painting and some other words and got the artist and title....the rest was straightforward.
    Bernadette Madden

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Katherine,

    Title of the artwork: Lilacs in a Window (Vase de Lilas à la Fenêtre)
    Name of the artist: Mary Cassatt
    Date it was created: 1880–83
    Media used: Oil on canvas
    where it lives now: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
    How do I know all this: I've been waiting for a Mary Cassatt and when it arrived, I didn't recognise it. I searched for Painting Lilacs in Google images. There was a poor reproduction on page 20, but it referenced Mary Cassat. Wikipedia gave the name of the painting and a Google search on Mary Cassat Lilacs in a Window found the Metropolitan Museum of Art website.

    All the best,

    Mark

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.