Monday, June 20, 2011

L'Isle sur la Sorgue markets

The Brocante market, Isle sur la Sorgue
Every Sunday L'Isle sur la Sorgue is host to a market and a brocante market - an antiques market.

It's not cheap but I learned from Ruth Phillip's new book Cherries from Chauvet's Orchard, that it is the source of some of the still life objects seen in Julian Merrow Smith's Postcards from Provence.

I'll be posting some more photos of the rest of the market at L'Isle sur la Sorgue later today (see below) - so come back later to see more.  Now I'm off to the Monday market in Bedoin to get my fish for tonight's supper!

You can see larger versions of these photos in the Provence set on my Flickr account

I first visited these markets some 20 years ago - and they seemed to me to be exactly the same as the last time - right down to the stalls in the same places as I remembered them.

You can find cheese from the moutains



and Gruyere from Switzerland (these are massive rounds of the cheese)


soap perfumed in a variety of different ways


local flowers


and various things you can do with lavender and bay leaves


Don't forget you can also see what I've been sketching and painting on Travels with a Sketchbook and Four Go Painting in Provence

2 comments:

  1. this is torture.... I holidayed right THERE a few years ago... Thats a fabby market - I remember lovely quilts.. Hope you're slathered in sun cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Factor 25 gets slathered on every morning Julie - and I'm still getting a bit of a tan. Not that there's a lot of flesh on show!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.