Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Color Interaction

Back in 2008 I did a long project on this blog all about colour.  I knew I didn't know as much as I wanted to - but never knew there was as much to know as there is!

I've been updating one of the sites I created at the time today and came across a new site which I found fascinating and thought you might do

This is a test to see how color interacts with other colours.  Click the link and tweak the arrows and try and match the inner squares so that they are the same hue and value - and then tick the box in the middle to see how you did.

Now I'd just like to point out that I have no problems seeing this in Chrome but it won't perform in Firefox for some reason - but the image you should be seeing should look something like this.

Interactivities - Color Interaction Demonstration I
This all came about because I was looking for links for the theory about colour interaction developed by Josef Albers!

Colour - Resources for Artists

The three websites I created as a result of the colour project are detailed below.  I keep forgetting that as readership of this blog increases, there's lots in the archives that people are not aware of.

The websites are followed by links to the three summaries about colour I created which are available to download for free from http://www.makingamark.co.uk/color.html - and those are listed at the end


Colour - Resources for Artists  (including this link to the project blog posts - Learning about Color - Online Projects)
What is colour? Do you know or do you want to learn more about colour and its use as an artist? This site provides links to information and advice about colour and how to understand and analyse it - and then use it as an artist. It includes:
  • links to The Colour Project
  • lists of colours
  • pigments and the issues they present for artists
  • an overview of colour science and theory
  • colourist painters.
  • books about colour
  • tips, techniques and tools for using colour
  • organisations, websites and blogs focused on colour
Colour science, systems and models - Resources for Artists
If you want to understand more about the science of colour, how it works and how people think (or thought) it works then this is the site for you. It covers: List of colours | Color Theory | Historical Theories of colour | Value - darkness and lightness of colour | Saturation or colorfulness | Chromaticity | Additive Colour | Subtractive colour | Colour spaces | Various Colour Models and Systems - including RGB, CMYK, Munsell, CIE | Colour Codes

The Best Art Books - Colour
This site identifies leading art books about colour and includes art book reviews - for books about understanding colour, using colour, mixing colour.

A Making A Mark Guide: Colour and Color




The following publications are available as pdf files and can be downloaded for free for personal educational use only (see copyright notice on the download page).

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Katherine. This is very interesting reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know that I linked to this post today, I hope that it's ok. So much info here that I think I'll be exploring for days. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Katherine, I am going to look at your colour posts. I hadn't found you blog at that time.

    A few years ago now, when I was beginning to learn how to paint in watercolour I was fortunate to take a colour workshop with Richard Nelson, a painter from Hawaii, who studied with Albers. I was in my mid-50s when I began painting, with no art background, and his journey into colour and light was a big leap for me and helped me immensely. Doing the 'halation' studies was a revelation. Also the 3 colour value study - it still hangs on my wall as a reminder of the power of using just 3 hues. Dick has all his workshop materials and exercises on his website. His tri-hue process is worth reading about. http://dimensionsofcolor.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lise and Carole - thanks - I had a feeling there were lots of people out there who hasn't seen the stuf I produced!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.