Friday, May 01, 2009

MAM Poll May: Which media do you like using for drawing or sketching?

Now that we know what sort of subjects you like to paint, I thought it might be interesting to find out what you like to use when you draw or paint. So this month I'm looking at which media we like using for drawing and sketching and then next month we'll look at the media we use for painting.

Coloured pencils, graphite pencils and charcoal
- behind the entrance door into Cornellisen's

see My Favourite Art Shop - Resources for Artists


I'm going to take a traditional perspective on drawing and sketching and I'm including media which gets used a lot for sketches ie watercolour. I've also gone digital with this poll!

The drawing and sketching media options in the Opinion Poll are as follows:
  • graphite pencils
  • charcoal
  • coloured pencils
  • soft pastels
  • hard pastels /conte
  • oil pastels
  • traditional pen and ink
  • ballpoint/rollerball/graphics pen
  • marker pens
  • watercolour
  • digital drawing tablet
  • mixed media
This month the poll allows multiple responses. That's because I know lots of people have two or three types of media they like to use. However I'm going to suggest you limit yourself to those media which you like to use on a regular basis rather than those you might use occasionally. For example, I've got a set of very nice watercolours which I've used for sketches in the past but I rarely use them for sketching these days so I won't be ticking the watercolour box.

You can find the poll in the right hand column - underneath all the smiley faces of my blog 'followers'.

The Poll finishes early on 30th May and I'll post an analysis of the results later the same day. Then the next poll on painting media will start on 1st June.

Do please comment on what you like to use the most and why. Speaking personally, I shall be opting for graphite pencil, coloured pencils and a rollerball/graphics pen.

3 comments:

  1. I just love that photo Katherine! I am going to have to visit them over the summer.

    The poll numbers for charcoal really surprise me. I wonder if it's because of the mess and the fixative? Personally I love the mess, although not when out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures like that make my heart race, I fell in love with color pencil a few years ago and the love affair is still going strong. I just love the colors sitting on my table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a moment I thought that top photograph was your supply cupboard, Katherine ;)

    I checked traditional pen and ink because I have two fountain pens I love for sketching - a Lamy and a big, fat Montblanc. I also have a Gillott mapping pen which I like to use with indian ink or sometimes charged with a brush of rich watercolour. My other favourite dip pen for drawing has a traditional post office nib. Now I'm on the hunt for a more portable super, superfine pen. I believe Pilot used to make one (V3?) but have discontinued it. Maybe someone can suggest one.

    I checked Watercolours too of course and have recently added Gouache - which I think qualifies as watercolour.

    This is a great poll because we all love our supplies ;)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.